Bylaw enforcement, policies, communication, owner/tenant/board issues, etc.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Terry Gray 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Michelle Riopel
    Keymaster

Good Day All,

At our recent AGM in April 2018 an Owner suggested we hold a Town Hall mid-year in order to have a chance to discuss bigger issues in the complex rather than taking up time at the AGM. What is your experience with holding a town hall for Owners? Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Kathy P.

Originally posted by Rockglen C

Michelle Riopel
    Keymaster

We always have an owners information meeting before the AGM, approx. mid year. Also do newsletters about every 3 or 4 months.

Eleanor M on July 04 2018 at 03:37 PM

Michelle Riopel
    Keymaster

How did you manage to have your board hold a mid term meeting, because it sounds like an interesting concept, especially for those that are absent during the winter?

Ron K on July 04 2018 at 04:04 PM

Michelle Riopel
    Keymaster

My question is why does the Owner not request topics to be addressed at monthly Board Meetings? At least that item would then appear in the agenda or minutes, allowing other owners to make inquiries of the board. My caution is why does this owner not participate on the board and the AGM is the appropriate time for non-board members to discuss these “bigger” issues with the board.

Christopher B on July 04 2018 at 04:07 PM

Michelle Riopel
    Keymaster

We have participated at a number of town hall meetings to address items such as major project work (building envelope replacement for example). It is a great way to communicate to the owners and to get input throughout the process of design, funding, etc.

Nick T on July 04 2018 at 05:50 PM

Michelle Riopel
    Keymaster

Thanks for the input Nick T. In research I’ve done about conducting town halls the information suggests that the Board uses an outside moderator. Do you follow this practice or does a Board member play the role of the moderator?
    Kathy

Rockglen C on July 04 2018 at 06:39 PM

Michelle Riopel
    Keymaster

We have held Town Hall and “Informational” meetings . The board is providing an open communication opportunity for the owners. Thus the board President chairs the meeting in a casual atmosphere, BUT,
    with a specific agenda with time for Q and A. Also we provide a flip chart for “Parking Lot” issues that are not on the agenda, but can be addressed later by the board. So as not to take up valuable meeting agenda time.

Michael M on July 05 2018 at 12:42 PM

Terry Gray
    Participant

We send out news items regularly via our geniepad website, so 96% of our 100+ owners (and many renters) are very well informed that way. They can discuss matters on our fairly active message board as well, which gives us an idea of the kind of news items they might find helpful.
    However, our lawyer recommended a town hall on one single very large and controversial project. We spent a lot of time preparing. We opened it with a thorough presentation of the facts and options (with Powerpoint, images, etc.). We stated our our intention to stay until every question had been asked and answered, and we did. And we announced what our follow-through would be.
    We had our lawyer and property manager present, but it turned out they weren’t needed as we had our stuff down thoroughly. I agree with the idea of someplace to “park” other issues that may come up. Don’t be taken off topic for long. A town hall is a brilliant solution to a focused, specific problem. I would strongly counsel my board against an open town hall session as a standard means of communications….unless you have either a very small number of owners, or so much time and patience you’re looking for a way to burn it all up.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.