Service provider recommendations, problem solving of maintenance issues, etc.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Posted by Barbara D on May 03 2018 at 08:28 PM | 7 comments
      Our condo community has an Amenity Building which is now over 30 years old and and we have been slowly refurbishing it. The ceiling in the lower level was originally sprayed with a thick cellulose-looking substance (for sound-proofing, we think) and is now grey and dust ridden. We had a sample of this substance checked out and there is no asbestos in it, but we don’t know exactly what it is made of (looks like paper fibres). We have asked a few painters to give us an estimate to have it spray painted, however, so far none of them seem too want to tackle the job, since they are not sure exactly what the material is and what the end result will look like. Scraping the ceiling seems like an ominous task, and we are not sure what is underneath the soundproofing. We are considering putting up a suspended ceiling, but that could make the ceiling feel low. If someone has dealt with this type of issue in their condo, we would like to hear of your experience and any suggestions you may have. Any recommendations on who we could contact to help us determine how to proceed with this project would be welcome.

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Asbestos?? Best to check it out.

Robert M on May 03 2018 at 08:52 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

If not asbestos as you mentioned it could be mineral wool which is made up of crushed rock and certain fireproofing chemicals or a cellulose( Shredded newspaper) product which also has fire proofing and mold/mildew resistant chemicals in it as well as a glue similar to Elmer school glue. These products are sprayed on wet( glue & water) and act as a sound and or R rated insulation product. These are usually spray painted as a roller would end up removing a lot of the product.

Mike B on May 03 2018 at 09:26 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Phone Norm Bush “Phase 3 Painting & Decorating Ltd. Phone #780-499-6421. He has done many-many textured ceilings, even many in our condo, yours is very likely some form of a textured finish, if it has dry wall behind the texture or what ever it is it scraps off quite easy & fast. Phone Norm & he will come and look at it, no charge for a look and an estimate.

Don M on May 03 2018 at 09:59 PM

Transferred from a duplicate post.

Alan W on May 03 2018 at 10:15 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Jason from Saucey’s Travelling Toolbox does the best texture ceiling repairs I’ve seen. I’ve been using for about 15 years. He would be able to help you out forsure!
      780-717-6275

Kelly S on May 03 2018 at 10:58 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

I can vouch for Saucey’s – he is the master of ceiling texture, though, it’s not clear that is what you need. But I’m pretty sure Jason can give you direction regardless.

Bernard J on May 04 2018 at 07:58 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Our company Applied Colour is a CCI member and we have painted (sprayed) these types of ceilings many times – especially in parakades. Please call me at your convenience and I can come have a look, give you my thoughts and provide you with a quote. Best number is my cell 780-699-1506. You can also reach me via email at daryn@appliedcolour.ca

Daryn K on May 05 2018 at 09:10 AM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Thank you, everyone, for your input and suggestions. We will be contacting some of you in the near future.

Barbara D on May 07 2018 at 06:29 PM

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.