Please read first: Forum Guidelines and Requirements
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      CCI Admin
      Keymaster

I am on a committee researching property management companies. We are a 140 Units, over 55, elevators to 4 floors with underground parking. I am looking for a similar condo property with recommendations for an attentive, transparent, professional property management company in Edmonton. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Don M

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Contact Ajay Parmar at Group Three Property Management. I can tell you the ones to stay away from but not on this public forum.

Darlene I on July 24 2018 at 06:28 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

I have owned 8 condo units in Edmonton, Calgary and Red Deer for 8 years. All condos in Edmonton are under management with Progressive Property Management. This is a family-run company with fine attention to detail and an excellent knowledge of the Condo Act, by-laws and willingness to go the extra mile. I have served on one board with the senior property manager for 8 years and wouldn’t consider any other firm. I would be happy to provide further information – Call me at 587-597-5478. Thanks

Heather C on July 24 2018 at 06:40 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

I can tell you to stay away from also but it is not allowed on this forum. Be very careful with whoever you hire and make sure you have your lawyer and your Board go over the contract with a fine tooth comb!!!!!

Anne A on July 24 2018 at 07:13 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

You cannot go wrong with “KDM” management, they are very professional and are managers for many dozens of Condos.

Don M on July 24 2018 at 09:12 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

We did research and had extensive interviews with three on the short list.
      Pivotal was our choice mainly due to their very well detailed tracking and communication systems.
      Progressive was our second choice.

Michael M on July 25 2018 at 09:18 AM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

ou might consider going with an independent manager. Just a thought

Jill M on July 25 2018 at 10:42 AM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Hi Don,

Please send me an email so that I can connect you with our client base first before making a decision as to whether or not you would like to discuss property management services with our firm. My email is grant.flagler@fsresidential.com

Thanks,

Grant

Grant F on July 25 2018 at 10:50 AM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

I highly recommend Prince Property. I have nothing but respect and admiration for Sandi Danielson. She is professional, committed to us, and is always a pleasure to work with!

Veronica v on July 25 2018 at 10:54 AM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Good afternoon Don,

If you would like to send me an email, we could provide you with several Board references. Some of these would be similar style properties to yours. Please feel free to email tamara@bridgegate.ca or call 780-266-2778 ext 201.

Tamara L on July 25 2018 at 12:15 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

May I suggest an entirely different viewpoint in how to deal with this question? A better way of finding a compatible property management company–instead of contacting similar-sized condos and going with one of their companies–might be for the committee to discuss what kind of services are needed and wanted by the corporation, and then to construct a Request for Proposal and a sample management agreement, based on the results of the discussion. What kind of financial services, building and operation maintenance, communication, etc, do you want and require, and what sort of agreement do you need to get the best company for you? Then send the RFP out to a large number of companies and review the responses you receive. If a company responds with a form letter and a boilerplate agreement, they are not really interested. If a company responds to specific points in the RFP and also says that it is willing to negotiate on services, they are interested. Your short list for interviews should be from the interested replies. In short, your search should be based on what you want, not on what the companies offer, even if someone else recommends them–what one condo may be happy with, another similar condo may not be.

Condos over 75 and under 250 units are in a very difficult position … too big for the basic services offered by most management companies to smaller condos. Mid-size condos cannot get by with basic services. We need comprehensive financial services and full-time building maintenance services (or almost full-time), plus really good communication between the Board and the manager. Also, unlike smaller condos where almost all of the owners are residents, we usually have a very high percentage of offsite owners who consider their condo an investment, and are unwilling to become board members or devote time to condo issues. These owners are likely to be landlords. The result is a high percentage of residents who are renters, who come and go far more frequently than owners, and who may create other problems (e.g., extra keys/fobs in circulation, damage to the common property) which are more complicated to deal with than when owners do the same thing. Many property management companies will communicate only with owners and that leaves the resolution of these issues up to the Board.

There are websites on constructing an RFP and creating a sample management agreement.

Donna G on July 25 2018 at 01:08 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Hi Don
      I own condos in a number of buildings in Edmonton, all with different managers.
      I also sit on a few Boards.
      I have had experience with some managers mentioned in these posts.
      If you contact me I can relate my good and bad experiences.
      Shaune
      shaune@rivercitymortgages.ca

Shaune I on July 25 2018 at 01:20 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

CSMangement is one of the top management companies in Edmonton.

Gilda V on July 25 2018 at 02:10 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Hello Don!

My name is Cathy Navarro and I am from Bridgegate Property Management. We would be happy to help you out in your search and solve any questions you may have as well as presenting a proposals and references from similar corporations as yours.

If you would like to reach me, I would be happy to help. My email is cathy@bridgegate.ca and phone number 780.266.2778 extension 204.

I look forward to hearing from you

Best regards and good luck!

Cathy Navarro

Cathy N on July 25 2018 at 02:21 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

HI Don,

I agree with Donna in regards to getting an RFP together and invite management companies to apply. I think for a Condo your size…it would be essential to take this step.
      I own RM Trotter Management INC, but you are too big for me. I am just a small company that would not be able to accommodate you. I have seen the list of Management companies that others have referred to you, and believe that almost all, are a good list for you to start with. When your RFP is ready, advise on CCI Forum so that all companies have an opportunity to apply. I wish you and your Condo Corporation the very best~!

Rebecca T on July 26 2018 at 09:43 AM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Don:
      I served on our condo’s board for 8 years (5 as President). We were very fortunate to have the same management company and the same advisor for all that time. It was KDM. Very professional, knowledgeable and efficient. I recommend them very highly.

Harvey F.

Harvey F on July 29 2018 at 09:53 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Good afternoon Don,

It would be our pleasure to provide you with our full package on who we are and what we can offer your fine property. Please feel free to email info@varamanagement.com or call 780-919-9409 at any time. You’re welcome to check out our website as well: Varamanagement.com.

Respectfully,
      Chelsey Isbister

Chelsey I on August 09 2018 at 02:23 PM

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.