Condominium Property Act & Regulations interpretations, condo plan matters, caveats, easements or any other topic where legal counsel should be contacted for assistance.

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Do other’s bylaws have a limit to the number of cats specified within their bylaws? If so, what is the limit, the purpose and/or rationale? Obviously if it is a matter of health, or odour because of the cats than that must be addressed, but for non-offensive matters I am interested in learning from your experiences. Our Board is reviewing our bylaws. Our Pet bylaw limits the number of cats allowed to one, which must remain in the unit at all times. We are a 34 unit, townhouse style 55+ complex. At least three units have two cats, and one has three, and our Board doesn’t want to cause undo stress or heartache just because of a bylaw (I know exceptions are permitted by the Board – this post is just to explore options for a bylaw amendment). The cats are not a problem (no odours or damage to property the corporation is responsible for). I am on the committee that is reviewing our bylaws and I don’t have a particular outcome I am hoping for, other than I want to be fair and reasonable for all of the owners.

Originally posted by Tony B

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

we have no such bylaw other than a general one that all pets require board approval. Some of us have two cats, but I expect the board would reject a request for a dozen cats. If you want to put a number on it I would suggest 2 (one cat needs feline companionship) or 3 (may be necessary to break a tie! ;-). But I think that some people would manage 4 without causing problems, while others could make a stink with just one. Perhaps you could include a notice that the permission to have pets can be withdrawn in the case of complaints over noise and smells.

We never let our cats out, however, we do take them to the vet periodically, so you might want to think about requiring them to stay in the unit at all times…

Alastair D on August 19 2018 at 12:10 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

We allow 1 pet (cat or dog) under 10 kilos, Board approved and of course, there may be an exception granted, but no more than 2.

Steve T on August 19 2018 at 01:39 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

We have a “no pet” bylaw. Prior to passing this bylaw, a women had a cat that meowed loudly whenever she left her condo. (We are a 33 unit apartment style condo.) This meowing disturbed her next door neighbors. And we had a lady who has a severe allergic reaction to cat fur and dander. Therefore, we passed the “no pet” bylaw and ‘grandfathered the lady who owns the cat. Once it dies, she can no longer bring a cat into the building.
      Curtis C.

Curtis C on August 19 2018 at 02:21 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Board approval of 1 cat spayed or neutered under 10 k.

Susan D on August 20 2018 at 08:28 AM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Our bylaws state that you can have a total of two pets- cats, dogs, or birds. The dogs must be less than 15″ at the shoulder. All pets are subject to Board approval. I think it is very important to get as close to consensus as possible with bylaws, because we are not supposed to ignore them or make exceptions. They are to be enforced (info from CCI). It can make the Board’s job very difficult if exceptions are made – who remembers who gets the special favours, how is it documented, why are some owners or residents given exceptions while others are not, and especially because Boards change and therefore personal opinions and values change. Our Board has a policy binder with policies written by the Board and handed out to all owners for feedback and editing. Our standard is trying to please 75% of folks with the policies so that we have cooperation. Our Bylaws are followed without exception.

Barbara S on August 21 2018 at 11:32 AM

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.