CCI Admin
Keymaster

An interesting topic, and one that we have some experience with… in short, if it’s only one vehicle (and it’s a hybrid not completely electric), you could probably get away with a calculated cost for the vehicle owner to pay each month, because the battery size for hybrids is smaller and the potential cost would not be significant (at least at present utility costs). However, if it’s 100% electric and so has a much larger battery (or they want/need a faster charging station with higher voltages and therefore some capital improvements), then a meter should be employed along with the capital improvements. Although it’s true that you don’t want to be seen as ‘targetting’, if a vehicle owner is using electricity as their sole means of transport, then the other unit holders should not be subsidizing that. Even though I already have a hybrid, I would still LOVE for someone else to be paying my gasoline! 🙂

Overall, Utility Submetering is definitely the way to go versus individual utility meters for electricity… the ongoing cost is lower ($150/suite/year is realistic), even after paying for the metering services, and users pay for what they use… which means they end up using less as well (one site we worked on showed that suites used nearly 20% less energy when they were paying for it directly).

I’d be happy to discuss further – you can message me directly at info@solution105.com.

Regards,

Chris Vilcsak
President, Solution 105

PS We do not represent or distribute any specific type of meter, and our independence means we can recommend the best solution for your specific situation.

Chris V on November 26 2017 at 10:15 PM