This List Originally Appeared in the 2017 Winter Issue of Insite to Condos
- Ask board members, the condo manager and others that are
involved in the meeting to submit agenda items before the
meeting day. Set a clear deadline for submission, for example
one week prior to the meeting. This will ensure everyone will have time to prepare for each discussion.
- Provide all information/copies of quotes in advance to all
attendees. Everyone should review the information PRIOR to
the meeting to be ready to discuss.
- Have a clear and reasonable agenda – Agendas that are not
complete or Agendas that have too much can cause meetings
to be ineffective.
- Start on Time/End on Time – Meetings tend to run late,
starting on time enables the meeting to flow according to
schedule. Respect others’ time and show up ready to go at
the designated time.
- Have someone experienced with Chairing a meeting be the
Chair (check your bylaws for options). If you don’t have an
experienced Chair, refer to resources such as Robert’s Rules
for guidelines on running the meeting.
- Set rules of conduct and revisit them regularly to ensure the
Board remains respectful and on task. Encourage dialogue
from all participants and discourage having one or two people
hijack the meeting to suit their personal agendas.
- Stay on Schedule – If meetings are taking longer than they
should, set a time limit for each topic on the agenda (complex
topics make require more time than others). If a decision
cannot be reached, you have the option of tabling the
motion to the next meeting.
- Take the time to clearly outline each decision with a motion
and vote. Record Action Items internally to ensure everyone
is aware of their future responsibilities and deadlines.
- Ensure the minute taker repeats back each motion for proper
recording purposes. Send a draft copy out to the Board
within a week of the meeting.
- If possible set future meeting dates in advance. Planning
board meetings far in advance gives directors plenty of notice
to reach quorum and ensure the business of the condominium
can be accomplished.