Condominium Property Act & Regulations interpretations, condo plan matters, caveats, easements or any other topic where legal counsel should be contacted for assistance.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Is there a legal requirement under the condo act for condo owners to keep their contact info current with the board or property manager?

Originally posted by Lisa J

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Yes plus any changes to title.

Rod P on June 19 2018 at 11:22 AM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

I’m curious about this question, as there are three scenarios and only two have an address requirement. (I know of no requirement in law to provide anything more than an address.)

1. The owner is resident in their property. You know the address.
      2. The owner acts as a landlord. Section 53 requires that the owner provide an address where the owner can be served documents.
      3. The owner is non-resident, and not attempting to rent the owner’s unit. Nothing is indicated in the Condo Act or regulations I think.

Land Titles Act requires a “post office address” where documents can be served, so the Board or property manager can obtain that address at any time for $10.

I’d be interested in hearing if there are other requirements, because I think it is important for owners to keep their contact info current for emergency situations or even required maintenance of condo property that requires unit access.

Note: Not a lawyer, this isn’t legal advice or opinion.

Arylnn P on June 19 2018 at 12:14 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

I would also be interested in finding out the exact clause or section of the Act and/or regulations requiring this information from owners, as I’ve been unable to find anything except Section 53 for owner/landlords, as pointed out in the comment above.

I wonder if the Personal Information Protection Act is the legislation where one ought to look … as it permits the Corporation and its agent (the property manager), in the day-to-day management and administration of a condominium, to collect and use personal information, which must be destroyed when there is no further need for it or when no longer needed for legal purposes.

Donna G on June 21 2018 at 11:51 AM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Just to bump this one last time, PIPEDA _allows_ collection, but never _mandates_ collection. It typically defines how information is managed if collected, but never in my experience does it mandate accurate updates unless the individual voluntarily provides the information or requests an update of the information on file.

Arylnn P on June 21 2018 at 03:13 PM

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.