Service provider recommendations, problem solving of maintenance issues, etc.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Does anyone have a guideline or policy that states when you obtain more than 1 quote for work/repairs to be done? At a recent Information meeting condo owners felt that 3 quotes should be obtained.

Originally posted by Susan D

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

It depends on the scope of the work. For smaller jobs you may just want to stick to one quote from a trusted supplier. For larger jobs a board needs to exercise due diligence by getting the most value for the money spent and that does not always mean going with the lowest quote. Don’t wear out your good contractors by continually having them quote on work they will never get. You may find yourself in a position where you will not be able get contractors to quote anymore.

Mark R on August 02 2018 at 03:33 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

On average we will get three quotes. Once we have used the same contractor a couple of time and find his quotes to be low and his work excellent, we will just call him direct. We do not necessarily higher the lowest quote. If the job is not such a small job we may ask for references and use those to help our decision. You just want to make sure you are getting the best job for your dollar. And using the same contractor over again saves the time of getting quotes.

Maurice P on August 02 2018 at 03:36 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Yes we obtain 3 quotes for every job

Amran Hossain
      Property manager

Amran H on August 02 2018 at 04:09 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

As a contractor working on behalf of condo boards and property managers as well as having owned condos and being on the board I would agree with Mark as good contractors are busy and if their time is wasted continuously on the same property without getting any work the word in the industry will travel and you might not get decent contractors to quote on your property anymore. Our rule is after 3 quotes on a property with no work coming forth we stop quoting. People need to remember that an average quote takes 3-4 hrs out of someones day not including your overhead ( vehicle, fuel, etc) this expense needs to be covered. Just like someone working for their boss wouldn’t like to work 3-4 hours for free. Major repairs over $2000 per unit might be good cause for multiple quotes. Anything less and you might find yourself without a decent contractor after a while. Most condo owners have no idea how much time is wasted for both contractors and management companies going back and forth including onsite visits to finalize quotes.

Mike B on August 02 2018 at 04:21 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Is there a dollar value you would suggest as a guide for obtaining 3 quotes? Also, what about work in the common property. For example, if you are replacing carpets and you receive a quote for $3,800.00 would you obtain 2 more quotes?

I totally understand the amount of time contractors invest in providing quotes but the tenants are questioning recent decisions by the Board for expenditures over $1,000.00.

Susan D on August 02 2018 at 04:50 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

LIke the rest we try to get three quotes for most items. But there is no related guideline, policy, or bylaw. The board is entrusted to use due diligence, which may mean more quotes in one case and fewer in another depending on the situation.

Alastair D on August 02 2018 at 06:08 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Our informal rule is that if it is more than $1000 we need three quotes.

Tom F on August 02 2018 at 08:45 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

There isn’t a policy for my Board specifically but the general consensus with out property manager is to obtain more than 1 quote for any work to be completed.

Ferdinand G on August 03 2018 at 10:19 AM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

I think that it needs to be noted that before going out for quote that the specifics of the work required are drafted so all contractors are quoting on the same scope of work otherwise you could end up comparing apples to oranges. We ran into this scenario when it came to concrete repairs and eaves troughs. In both instances there was no comparison in the specs that were quoted. When in doubt get a quote from ONE well regarded contractor and base the requests for two additional quotes on the same specs the first one quoted on. Also watch ongoing prices for your regular contractors. Their prices tend to incresae if they think they have a captive audience and especially for annual work, ie. arborist, landscaping, it is a good strategy to let them know you will be getting other quotes and helps keep their prices competitive. For capital projects there certainly should be at least three quotes which are recorded and voted on.

Ruth G on August 03 2018 at 05:52 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Thank you everyone for your comments. I will share them with the Board and I have also used them and research I did on the internet to develop a policy.

Susan D on August 03 2018 at 06:04 PM

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.