Please read first: Forum Guidelines and Requirements
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Posted by Debbie L on May 02 2018 at 04:39 PM | 6 comments
      Our Social Committee would like to hold a garage sale to raise money for social events. I’ve heard that condo corporations cannot hold raffles to raise money for the condo corporation as we are not a registered charity. However, I don’t know if the same would apply to garage sales. Does anyone have any information to help clarify this. Thanks

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

The only peril you may face is a visit from the Condo police…..lol. If there is any legal issues, it would be pretty petty.

Steve T on May 02 2018 at 04:57 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

I think you need to notify the City when and where, and you are also required to serve beverages like coffee, water , tea etc. Call the City By-Law office to enquire.

Gilda V on May 02 2018 at 05:04 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

Great idea!
      Garage sales are social events within themselves and a great way to meet all your neighbors for a common gain. Three of my neighbors and I would like to do the same thing. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
      Single family garage sales require permits so do check your own by-laws and the city by-laws.

Lolly H on May 02 2018 at 06:48 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

I believe the issue around raffles is that it’s a game of chance and so it’s regulated by the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (AGLC)… they need to know how many tickets are going to be printed, etc. etc…. not the same for the garage sale issue, you’re selling something that you don’t want/need anymore and someone is paying you for that.

From what I found, you don’t need a permit from the City for a garage sale, although you cannot hold more than three garage sales at a residence in a year. And, you can’t post signs on City property (a $250 fine).

Here’s the rules that I found and the City website link:

(From the City’s website:)

Rules for Garage Sales

•You do not need a licence from the City to hold a garage sale
      •A maximum of 3 garage sales per calendar year may be held from one location and for no longer than 3 consecutive days
      •Holding garage sales longer than the allotted times requires a development permit and business licence
      •Garage sale holders are liable and obligated to ensure the items sold at a garage sale are safe and have not been recalled by the manufacturer for the product
      •For a listing of items that should not be sold, please visit ?Health Canada or view ?Facts for garage sale vendors (links are on the website)
      •Garage sale signs must not be posted on City property

(and here’s the link:)

https://www.edmonton.ca/residential_neighbourhoods/garage-sale-licence.aspx

Good luck w/your sale!
      Chris

Chris V on May 02 2018 at 09:31 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

The issue is not whether or not a condo owner can gave a garage sale (she can). The issue is can tgat owner donate money to the condo board regardless of where it came from.

I suggest you look into the possibility of forming a social organization that is not a committee of the board, as might be done in a neighborhood of non-condo residents. Membership in that group would not be automatic for condo owners or residents, those interested would have to explicitly join.. Any money collected in a garage sale could then be pooled and used to fund a social event.

What I am not sure of is whether or not such a club would be subject to some city regulations or bylaws. It might depend somewhat on the amount of money that might be involved.

Alastair D on May 02 2018 at 10:46 PM

CCI Admin
      Keymaster

With all the positive aspects of garage sales, I.e., camaraderie , revenue, decluttering, etc., one hesitates, to, um, hesitate. However, for privacy and other reasons our Condo Board has generally avoided condoning events which entail inviting the general public onto our site. If the decision is made to proceed, suggest checking bylaws, also with the insurance company.
      Doug F.

Douglas F on May 03 2018 at 10:52 AM

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.